Community Organizers Plan for what could be the Final Cole School Reunion
This May will mark the final reunion for Cole Elementary School alumni and friends (age 50 & over), a close-knit group of St.Louisans connected to a school that once played a part in the adhesion of the community. Cole Elementary School is located at 3935 Enright in St.Louis. The elementary served as a pillar of the community for many years for those who lived in the Vandeventer & Page area.
“Cole Elementary School was our gathering place. It was a staple of the community,” says reunion organizer Andrea Williams. “Cole Elementary was where we went to play ball and socialize.”
“Cole Elementary was our gathering place. Parents were very involved in direction and events. Parents would attend PTA meetings. The school was often open at night. Cole Elementary school centered our neighborhood.”
Due to a lifelong bond, Cole Alumni and neighbors have remained connected over the years through gatherings and reunions. But this event may be its last due to complexities and the enormous amount of time needed to successfully create an event for such a diverse group. Though this 2016 reunion may be its last since many alumni have moved away. The school has also changed names. Cole Elementary is now Gilkey Pamoja Preparatory Academy, an African-Centered elementary school.
“This year’s reunion is our finale. We are calling it a ‘Friends Forever Reunion’. It is designed for us to reconnect people to we haven’t seen in a while and rekindle old memories” says Williams.
Some events come with a cost. Alumni can learn more about the ‘Friends Forever Reunion’ reunion on the group’s facebook page: Cole School St.Louis.
Below is a brief schedule of events for Thur 5/12 to Sun 5/15:
- Thursday – May 12 – Hospitality – 2pm-6pm, Greet & Meet at Midtown Sports Bar & Grill, 1923 E Prairie Ave, St. Louis, MO 63113. Free Food. Door Prizes & Raffle
- Friday – May 13 – Banquet & Dance – 6pm to 8:30pm, Polish Heritage Center, 1413 N 20th St, St. Louis, MO 63106: Live Entertainment: Bring Your Own Beer: Photographer on Duty. Dance is from 8:30pm until midnight.
- Saturday. May 14 – Picnic – 1pm to 5pm – Tanglewood Park, 1199 Chambers Rd, St. Louis, MO 63137
- Sunday – May 15 – Morning Worship – 10 30am – Fellowship with New Paradise Missionary Baptist Church, 7348 W Florissant Ave, Jennings, MO 63136
- Sunday – May 15 – The Last Hoorah – 3pm to 7pm – Lady J & Tony G’s Sports Bar & Grill, 4208 E Natural Bridge Ave, St. Louis, MO with (Alumnus Tony G)
Organizers promise a fun-filled, 4-day weekend certain to provide unforgettable memories. They urge participants to bring cameras, Cole memorabilia, and stories from the old neighborhood as they pay tribute to a neighborhood that positively influenced many St.Louis city youth.
For details, contact Andrea Williams at: 314-369-3052 or on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/coleschoolst.louis/?fref=ts